Old 12-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #59
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I did not know Gypsy was an ugly word until recently. A woman I know who is of Romany descent posted why it is an offensive term.

Now, another woman, also of Romany descent, posted back on that post (it was on an author's blog) about why she DID like the term "gypsy".

Like you, Gemme, I see them as a beautiful, free tribe. However, the word "gypsy" was synonymous with "thief" and "lazy" and "untrustworthy" in many places.

So it's a word I'm trying to drop from my vocabulary. You may call me that as much as you like. I am not offended by the word. And I adore you for caring enough to ask!
I've always associated Gypsies with those of Romanian descent but I found something on Irish Gypsies and I had a moment that any nomad tribe has probably been labeled a band of Gypsies.

Thank you for sharing your process of how you came to decide to not use that term.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: