Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,688 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Great thread & thought provoking subject!! R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I am really curious what folks think about texting and phone call etiquette.

Feel free to talk about whatever you want but I'm super curious about the following things:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?

For me personally, it is about being respectful of someone else's "space".

Sometimes I just want to be online & be lost in whatever I may be doing there...so I prefer the person ask before doing so.

It can depend on whom is doing it..for example if it is an emergent situation & all other efforts to reach me has been exhausted.

Even with my GF, when we are online at same time, both of us are respectful & "ask first" before FT etc.

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?

Since I am retired & I do not go to school, this really doesn't apply to me.

But when someone is working, others should be respectful of that...barring a dire emergency, texts/calls should be made with discretion (ie IF person should be on break and WANT to be contacted, etc.)

A break and meal break is for the working person to have some "me" time, or to just enjoy being in a quiet space...I get that & respect that!

As in the case of me & my GF, we are in contact a multitude of ways, thanks to social media. So, usually work talks/texts are brief. She is busy making her bacon..lol

When she commutes, we rarely text/talk as that is a time for her to unwind, catch up on social media unencumbered with personal texts & calls...it is about her "me space". I don't have a need to constantly be joined at the hip, so to speak. We begin & end each & every day with either GM texts OR calls and the end of day tuck in call.

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not?

I have some really, really close friends whom I am in contact with on a weekend usually, so I DO enjoy a long or longer chat then.

I don't really like long texts or text sessions, as my eyes grow blurred after a bit. That phone screen is so damn tiny..lol.

Dear friends I usually talk to on the weekends & calls vary by length. It is always nice to actually talk to someone & catch up. So then I enjoy longer calls.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer?

Were it a DIRE emergency of a family or loved one, then yes, it is amenable.

IF it is someone I can't get up with right away, & a VM has been left & I am not in a position to answer, it would indeed be annoying. Perhaps it went to VM for a reason...

I would address this with the repeat caller in a tactful manner.

How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?

See above.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event?

My phone is always on silent/vibrate mode when I am at anything like that OR if I am enjoying something & do not wish to be connected to cyber world.

I DO check my messages regularly once in the space to do so. IF it is something I need to address right away, I do so.

Vacation or social gatherings are for pleasure & to have some time with the people at these events, so I am disconnected for that time. I do check messages, & if need be, respond in kind. I leave my cell off while asleep or having dinner or doing something fun & cool on vacay. I am pretty upfront to folks when I am not wanting to be disturbed, so it rarely happens in clay's world.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone?

For me & my sweetheart, I am always available, as is she, I do have a strict DND policy regarding our sleep time respectively, for myself and everyone else. Rest is utmost a priority in our world.

My phone is on vibrate & I can hear the gentle buzz should she need me during night, and vice versa. Others of my social network are kind, courteous, & considerate. Most know my sleep schedule, and it isn't usually disturbed.

I think an hour before bedtime & a couple hours after arising is a good parameter to have regarding calling or texting most folks.

How do you feel about group texting?

Haven't ever done that, and do not even know how. I do not think it would be an inconvenience for me....

Again, please tell me all about your views on phone etiquette! I'd love to hear from you folks!

Most of my phone etiquette is just a manner of politeness, speaking in soft, soothing tones, being mindful of others time & other parameters, & of their individual needs.

I practice common sense regarding what/where/when/how I make/receive calls & texts, & expect same in return.

Care to chat?....