View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation
Default Since you asked....

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?

I look at this in exactly the same way as the "pop-in." I'm not really a big fan of surprise visits and many years ago (in my much less assertive days) I found myself to be often inconvenienced by it until a longtime friend of mine taught me his way of handling it. (lol, by making a point to sit in plain view of the door - generally with cocktail and cigarette in hand - and simply not answer while the people (who could clearly see him sitting right there) pounded away. He was a jerk in many ways but in his defense, this was reserved for those who were habitual boundary-crossers.)

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?

Not a fan of that; prefer discreet and brief email conversations (when necessary; otherwise I prefer focus on work when at work).

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not?

No. I do not. And I've finally come to the realization that it isn't the just medium itself that annoys me, but rather the accompanying expectation that I provide an instantaneous response to it. (I won't.)

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?

I would say something to that person (politely, of course) and if it continued to be disruptive, I would put the number on block. (If I need to talk to that person, I can always call them.)

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event?

I wouldn't answer. Again, the expectations that come along with cell phones are the biggest problem for me. I have no problem turning the phone off or to silent or simply ignoring a call.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone?

It depends on the individual because schedules are different from person to person and how close that person is to me. However, as a general rule, I wouldn't call someone past ten (at the very latest) - but I typically don't use the phone much at all.

How do you feel about group texting?

Hate it. I find it obnoxious and intrusive; but that's just me.

Interesting topic. I have no interest in being shackled to a cell phone all day, every day. Sometimes it feels like an ankle monitoring bracelet. I miss the days when the phones stayed at home.

But the absolute worst is public use of the speakerphone feature. To me, it shows a complete lack of consideration for others as well as the person to whom you are speaking. However, it would appear that I am in a teeny, tiny minority on that based upon the incredulous responses I get whenever I have this discussion with people.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Smiling; 02-10-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post: