How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Interesting thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I am really curious what folks think about texting and phone call etiquette.

Feel free to talk about whatever you want but I'm super curious about the following things:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?
I do not have FT. As for any of the other video chats, I want to have a choice regarding when I video chat and with whom. I feel the same about this as I do someone showing up at my front door without calling first. Please do not do it.

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?
I'm retired, and since my classes are online for the time being this isn't a big issue for me. If I were working or attending classes on campus, I feel it would be my responsibility to silence my calls while on the clock or in the classroom, rather than expect others to keep up with my schedule.

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not?
Text is my least favorite way of communicating with another person, so I am definitely not interested in long conversations via text. If this is the only way the person can speak with me at that time, and I am really into speaking with them, I will & have made exceptions. I would much rather speak via the phone, in person, or even Skype depending on the relationship.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?
Oh see, that will not happen for long, because I do not have the patience for such nonsense, and will block that caller.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? Again, I prefer to see this as my responsibility, and will either silence my phone, or shut it down depending on the situation at hand if needed. It would not upset me if a friend called during one of these occasions, and I would simply return their call at a mutually convenient time if unable/unwilling to talk at that time.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone? I would not make a personal call to a friend before 9am or after 9pm unless I knew for certain it was okay with that person, or if it was an emergency. I am not bothered by calls coming in during odd hours because I silence my phone when I retire for the night. However, I can see where a person with children, elderly parents, doing on call hours, etc. may not have this luxury.

How do you feel about group texting?
Never done it, and only see it as possibly being valuable to connect 3 or more old friends who have moved apart or who have not connected in a long time. Or perhaps if planning a surprise party for someone. Otherwise I am not feeling any interest.
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post: