View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #13
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,640 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am really curious what folks think about texting and phone call etiquette.

I like this conversation very much! So glad you asked. First, I'm very anti-phone and always have been. I have to make myself talk on it which is why I probably get nowhere with dating. LoL And then there's this that kind of sums it up for me...“Don't use the phone. People are never ready to answer it. Use poetry.” ― Jack Kerouac

Feel free to talk about whatever you want but I'm super curious about the following things:

How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it?

I'm very uncomfortable with someone wanting to face-time without 'appointment' / pre-planned time ahead. I won't answer the phone.

How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?

This I'm okay with. I have a lot of freedom at work unless I'm in meetings so I'm fine with texting me at work. It's usually a lovely distraction for me.

Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not?

Like most conversations in life, it depends on who I'm having it with. But technically speaking, I don't enjoy it on my phone but am fine with it on my iPad. It's the tiny keyboard that I'm not crazy about. I'm still pretty old school though and use my laptop more than either my phone or iPad.

How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering?

I think it's very rude. Call, leave a message and if I don't get back to you, assume there's a reason. It may not even be a personal reason having to do with the caller, there may be something going on in my world.

How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event?

Texting is fine, phone calling I will always let it go to voice mail. Well, actually I let every call all the time, with only one exception being my son, go to voice mail. I don't answer the phone.

How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone?

And, again it depends on the person or the day of the week. Some people I'm fine with middle of the night texts. Calling is business hours only.

How do you feel about group texting?

I'm not crazy about it unless it's necessary for planning something. There's too much that can go wrong with the whole concept I think.

On to more of phone/text etiquette...
In my opinion, unless you are twelve, it's not appropriate to 'text type'. Example: UR, 2b While I'm a stickler for spelling and grammar usually, the real reason I don't like text type is because it takes me too long to figure out what is being said. I'm ok with the occasional LoL but that's about all I think is ok for educated adults to use. I think too, texts should be answered in a reasonable amount of time. It takes two seconds to acknowledge a text message even if it's just to say, I'll have to get back to you later. Texting is so routine these days that it's not frowned upon in most settings anymore and so answering quickly is usually going to be ok. I work in the corporate office of a major retailer and we text in meetings all day. It's very acceptable in the workforce now. I think phones should always be on silent at work, on dates, etc. And, I'm always put off when someone takes a call (unless it's an emergency obviously) or carries on a long text conversation when we're socializing. And lastly, people who carry on personal conversations in public areas such as shopping, theaters, restaurants loud enough for everyone else to hear, I think is rude also. You can always excuse yourself and have a private conversation somewhere. It's uncomfortable to listen to others private conversations in public places. Wow, I didn't know I had all these phone/text issues. No wonder I never talk on the phone! I'm not on good terms with it clearly.