Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I work in a county behavioral health system.

I have no official statistics for you.

What I bring is my personal experience and how much it troubles me. I am more than aware of white privilege every day.

I run group counseling sessions for young men with primary mental illness and co-existing substance abuse diagnoses.

In this very rich county that I work, in every group of 10 males from 18-years-old to 50-years old, 8 of the 10 are Hispanic, one is white and one is African-American.

They are on probation or parole (Hispanics or blacks). The white males are on probation.

50-70% of the Hispanics in my group have been in jail or prison multiple times.

The white males, even if arrested a couple of times have had no prison time-just very short stints in county jail (if that).

The arrests? For all, possession or sale of methamphetamine or heroin, or paraphernalia or for all at the same time.

When I read about their cases or talk to their PO's, I don't hear much difference in their cases.

The main difference that I can see is their socio-economic status, skin color and the outcome of their trials.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: