Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

I've been thinking about this a lot. I have found through discussion with a valued friend that I am confusing self-indulgence with self-nurturing.

I had to look it up.

Self-indulgence
  • indulgence: an inability to resist the gratification of whims and desires
  • intemperance: excess in action and immoderate indulgence of bodily appetites, especially in passion or indulgence; "the intemperance of their language
  • "Excessive or immoderate indulgence of one's own personal desires and needs above all others
I can see where I do this sometimes when I sit down and eat an entire pint of ice cream or have more wine that might be good for me. That's me over-indulging.

Nurturing, for me, is allowing myself to have a long, hot soak in the tub and not worrying about the many other thing I COULD be doing.

It's getting up on the orbital bike at work even for ten minutes a day. That's nurturing my body to be healthy.

It's getting off the computer and picking up a good book with one glass of wine and a plate of cheese and grapes. That nurtures my need for quiet.

It's calling a girlfriend over to hang out in the pool then talk for hours.

It's loving myself without blame. Without listening to the voices of others telling me who and what I should be.

It's hard. It's really hard to separate indulgent from nurturing for me.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post: