View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #39
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
I am also the great great neice of Devil Anse Hatfield ( yes of Hatfield/McCoy feud).
i am supposedly related to the Hatfields. My geneology is all appalachian all the way back on both sides. There is one family member who was an early settler of Perry Co, Kentucky. i love this story about him that i found on the internet. This is in the 1790's when he was scouting around to find a place to settle in Kentucky:

Quote:
Hunting and Exploring expedition to Kentucky with Gideon Ison, on horseback. Camped at mouth of Beech Fork on Big Leatherwood. To explore, one headed up the stream and the other down. Gideon found an Indian camp of the previous night, returned to his camp. He decided that if William hadn't returned by the first star he would head home. When that time came, he mounted his horse and saw William approaching far off, carrying a deer. When William asked why he had been on his horse, he told him. William said he had seen an Indian peeking over a log and pretended not to see him until he passed him, then he bagan running and turned to see the Indian running in the other direction. They stayed up until first light, then headed home.
i love the brave explorers, one about to leave without his buddy and the other -- my ancestor -- running from the Indian he spotted. i just love it that this is the only story that survives about him.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: