Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
I think I have what you are saying. I maybe off, but say so. You are saying that people because of how they were raised really believe in xyz because of that time period. Like older folks not understanding younger folks who live together unmarried. Is this it?
That's partially what I'm saying but what I'm actually on about goes in a somewhat different direction. I *do* believe that the next big stages in social equality progress--specifically those parts related to race and sexual orientation--will come after the rest of my parents generation (born in the 1920's), the Silent Generation (born after 1922 but before 1946) and the leading edge of the Baby Boomer generation (so the folks who are the age of the Clintons but not the Obamas) are all gone. After that, what will remain will be the trailing edge of the BB generation and then Gen-X and Gen-Y who will ONLY ever know a post-civil rights society and who will have grown up with gay people just being part of society.

However, what I'm on about is actually how we---as members of society---determine which ideas we will treat as true (or true enough to bother acting on). If you believe that there are fairies at the bottom of your garden or that you are really an elf in a human body, that's not really what concerns me here. What DOES concern me is what to do with, to take another example, historical revisionists. If someone believes that history is just a story with no more veracity than, say, Star Wars then we have a problem. There are people who *genuinely* believe that the Holocaust never happened and they are aided and abetted (unwillingly) by people who believe that 'all truths are true for the people who believe them'. This is why I insist that evidence, proof, facts and empiricism actually *matter*. They are imperfect tools but they are the best tools we have at the moment.

Cheers
Aj

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dreadgeek For This Useful Post: