genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

I've been fairly lucky with airports. I think it's because I'm always ready with my coat and shoes off, laptop and camera ready for the bin and usually with a don't-mess-with-me-I-have-no-coffee-so-I'm-looking-placidly-neutral look on my face.

I'm interested in what Corkey said about neuro stimulators... my brother is 21 with various disabilities, including epilepsy, and has a VNS. A friend came to stay with me last week, and he's taking nuclear medical technology, and he reassured me that they would pat him down. My concern is being able to stay with him, even if that means getting a pat-down myself (every time I've had a pat-down it's almost as though it didn't happen - very light touch, very respectful, open flat hands, no grabbing... my doctor gets more personal during a throat exam!)

My friend also reassured me that the amounts of radiation coming from a backscatter machine are negligible according to the recommended limit of radiation to which one should be exposed per year. Everyone has their own opinion about radiation exposure, though. Naturally I asked him all these questions because the answers are generally interesting!

I'm only wondering just because I wanted to take a flight within Canada sometime with my brother so we can visit our dad in another city. He's autistic with lots of learning disabilities, PDD and epilepsy. I just hope the pat-down doesn't freak him out and that they understand and respect that he's not exactly going to just stand there like a statue for him. I also hope that they understand that I'm in charge of not only my own effects, but of his safety, behaviour and belongings, as well.

Has anyone travelled with a special needs person? How has your treatment been at security? From the experts like Morgan, what should I keep in mind?

Thanks!
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post: