Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

In 2000, my LTR of 21 years ended, my Mom and a sister had recently died and I closed a business and moved to a place that I knew no one (even though it is close to my childhood home). I did become involved again, for 6 years. She also died.

My partner and I owned a house together which was mostly furnished with my stuff and I ended up with both my Mom's and sister's personal effects, plus all the furniture in my office. I moved from a 2600 square foot house into an 1100 square foot condo! I gave family members a lot of stuff, but I had so much stuff and was so depressed at the time, I just stored most of what was left.

It took years to face this and part with so many things. I did keep a couple of items like my Mom's bedroom suit, but I had enough extra furniture for 4 families! Plus, I am a collector of things.

Now, I am in a time of my life in which I just really don't want what I don't need and am in preliminary planning for re-location. I'm retired and have some severe arthritis and just need to be in a different climate. I also really want to have a more quiet life and am tired of the hustle and bustle of the Bay Area in CA. Also, this is just not a place to live as I want to on fixed retirement funds.

I am going to have to part with many of the items that do have sentimental value to me, but I just seem to be willing to do so. I think this is just part of falling in with the life stages I am in. Finally, making this decision and starting to plan out when I need to have my house ready to sell has helped. it takes a good six months to get a place ready to sell and it is best to have as little possible in it while being shown. I rented a studio I have to a friend, but she will only be here for about a year and that will fit in with my needing to have the place to myself to prepare for selling it. I will get my kid and a couple of nephews here to help me out with painting, repairs and staging for prospective buyers. My guess is that I will just stay in my RV while it is being shown because it is a pain to be living in a house when trying to sell it- you never know when an agent will be bring someone to look at it. And everything has to be spotless for showings and open-houses. Rather just be in my little house on wheels and not worry about it, plus I don’t want it to look cluttered with a bunch of furniture and stuff. So, the later date to have it sold is September of 2012, hopefully a few months sooner. If I can get all of the stuff out of it (will have to do some storage again, but nothing like before) by November-December of 2011, that would be great. Even with declines in home sales prices here, I have good equity in my place and I want to turn that into more of the life I want to be living. Hell, if I miss SF, I'll visit as a tourist! There are many other places I want to re-visit and others that I have never been to- just in the US! I have to have this phasing plan as I do have some disability issues that make doing all of this a much slower process for me. So, I need to just get it in motion!

Mainly, I want to simplify... that really is at the root of this! And explore more. There is so much that I used to think I needed that I just don't want anymore. I want to travel and do some of that leisure-time thing I hear about! Other areas have much better real estate prices. Perhaps meeting a woman in the same space might happen, but, who knows and I am just not really invested in doing so right now.

Yes, simplification! Interesting, I remember my Mom hitting this time in her life and didn't understand it fully. Now, I do!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: