Thread: ADHD/ADD Folks
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
EmpressM

How Do You Identify?:
human

EmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST ReputationEmpressM Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, I didn't have much luck with herbals or Straterra, but that's just me and everyone's body chemistry is different. What works for one doesn't work for another.

I'm with you on the proper diet and exercise. Sugars and simple carbs definitely exacerbate my ADD symptoms. I walk 4 miles everyday, Pilates three times weekly, and also mix in tennis and yoga. I find I'm more clear headed, especially with the exercise, plus the endorphins help elevate my mood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I got a message in my reps that Strattera does require a prescription. I wanted to update this to make it clearer (more clear?).

The stimulants used to treat ADHD require a "special" prescription - because they are considered a "controlled" substance. Strattera still requires a prescription, but it's easier to deal with because it's the normal kind of prescription where you can get refills and such without having to go to your doctor's office to pick up a new prescription each time.

I've seen herbal supplements which are supposed to help with adhd, but I haven't explored them for the most part. I did take a break from stimulant medications for about 2 years - and during that time my symptoms did improve when I walked to work and back (3 miles a day), cut out simple carbs, ate mostly organic and meditated regularly. I never thought sugar affected my brain function until I had been on this type of eating plan for a few months - then had some sraight maple syrup. My ADHD symptoms immediately were exacerbated.

However, the stimulant medication still does a better job. Not sure if it will shorten my lifespan. I assume if I develop heart issues at some point, I'll probably be forced to explore non-stimulant options.

I'm hoping to walk to work and back again soon, though I'm waiting for this Texas heat wave to be done. It makes a big difference in my brain function and stress levels.
I'm not going to change the way I look or the way I feel to conform to anything. I've always been a freak. So I've been a freak all my life and I have to live with that, you know. I'm one of those people. ~John Lennon
EmpressM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EmpressM For This Useful Post: