Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Melissa

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married

Melissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
I'm not sure if this is true in all states, but when I was in NY the schools received the majority of their funding from local property taxes. So, affluent area, high taxes, well funded schools and the opposite also the case.

Not saying it has to be that way...just that it would take a major restructuring of how schools are funded...and an awful lot of political will to do so.
Jo - in every town I have lived in the property tax system is used so I'm guessing this system is used throughout most of the United States. I'm just wondering why funds couldn't be collected and placed in one big state pot, for example, and then distributed to schools based on enrollment. For example, a set amount per student. This way schools get equal funds. Funding is not based on the community property levels but on number of students enrolled. I've never seen it as a difficult change to make. I see it more as a choice to continue the funding this way because it benefits certain groups of people.

M
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post: