View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #49
Bleu

How Do You Identify?:
Bleu

Thanked 2,700 Times in 733 Posts
Bleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
I watch some reality shows as well. But I was referring to those shows that are debasing to someone or a group of someones. HoneyBoo Boo comes to mind immediately. Another one was the Fear Factor. Eating reindeer balls, having 200 spiders crawl all over you. There is an adolescent one (or damn close to it) about some kid who does all these dangerous stunts. Come on. Really? A simple "dont do these at home" isnt enough warning. If he can do it, kids think they can too.

The reality shows I like are Oddities, Storage Wars, and Pawn Stars. I hated Flavor Fav and his campaign to find a GF. But then I detest all the Bachelor, Bachelorette shows. Cattle calls. As does Millionare Matchmaker. Its not any different just because the featured person is privelaged with money.

television is a main tool of socialization, and it does pass along a culture's beliefs and values, and therefor can and does create new ones. Dont think so? Think of Jennifer Aniston's haircuts. On a deeper level, Ellen D's bookstore sitcom changed our culture forever. Why do you think there were/are so many groups opposed to allowing homosexuality on tv? Because once its on there as an approved and accepted lifestyle, its only a matter of time before it becomes an entrenched cultural value.
I agree and I think this is how in a way it is a form of art, shaping and changing the way people feel and think and SEE. Ellen D's bookstore is a perfect example.
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bleu For This Useful Post: