Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
About the time it became a synonym for weak or hysterical. Rarely is the word sensitive used in a neutral way. Context is everything, and I'm sure we can cough up examples of it being a compliment. It is usually (especially on the context of this conversation), leveled at people to excuse bad behavior. As in: "you're too sensitive, all I said was you look like elephant riding a bike! C'mon! That's funny!"

It places the responsibility of being "too sensitive" on the offended. The responsibility is on the offender for being "too much of a tool."
Context is everything for sure. When I used the term "highly sensitive person" I was referring to the psychological profile HSP. I have experienced the HSP in a long term partner and in discussion regarding personality types. There is a book called "The Highly Sensitive Person" that helped me to understand my long term partner who self identified as HSP. One trait of the HSP that I experienced is that she was "easily overwhelmed" by things that may not bother some other people such as violent television programming, graphic images of violence, someone yelling, humankind's general inhumanity toward humankind or cruelty toward animals.

This ex partner is a very gentle, kind, loving soul. There were times when she took feedback very badly even when delivered in a gentle kind way. I am not referring to feedback that came from me about any of the subjects that were listed in the OP but feedback from parents, co workers, classmates. Perhaps to say that there is an emotionally fragile aspect to her would be a good way of putting it. That very kind, gentle soul is very lovely and very much introverted. When I read the book The Highly Sensitive Person, and discussed this with a few friends, they too read the book and said that they could relate to many traits. In this forum, I was not clear that HSP may not be a term that is readily used or understood. My error.

So..the word "sensitive" is not for me a synonym for weak or hysterical and never have I personally told anyone that they were being "too sensitive". Everyone is different and when feedback is given in a romantic relationship (meaning a relationship where two people have agreed that they are together in a relationship and are working toward the health of that relationship) it is still my opinion that delivery is everything.

Anyone who really knows me would say that I am sensitive. I think that this has its positive and negative aspects. That is fine with me. When it comes to the health and welfare of innocent animals or children who can not defend themselves my level of sensitivity goes up. That is just a part of who I am and I am ok with that. Insensitive cruel mean spirited people do not last long in my realm.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Last edited by Sun; 03-15-2013 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added
Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post: