Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,163 Times in 2,006 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Yet another thread I did not see. Did your son decide to join? I was in Job Corp many years ago, back in the 70s. I already had my HS diploma but I was poor and trying to figure out a way to grow up and move out of my mom's house. The military had been my first plan but because of an orthopedic injury as a teen, that was not possible.

It was a culture shock, even for me. I had not been in trouble ever, but I did do the teenage thing of drinking and light drugging. Back in those days, all of the butches were put in one specfic dorm and forced to attend "charm classes." I got out of charm school because of an orthopedic condition I have. I was lucky, the charm class was at the top of the stairs on the third floor. I did attend a couple of times and for me it was humiliating.

I became very interested in a program they offered to help a few of us bridge into college. It did not pan out for me because at one point they rounded up all of the butches and suspected butches and discharged us. I was given an "honorable discharge" but none the less, out.

I know for a fact it was homophobia. My counselor at the time gave me the real story as to what was happening. She was in the closet at the time in terms of her bisexuality. Later in life I ran into her again and she was a Professor at Univeristy of New Mexico in Albuquerque, and a very out Lesbian. Yeah team!

Back to your son. Job Corp can work out for him if he stays focused and stays away from the young people that are there to only play and get a break away from whatever situation they left.

Last edited by Greyson; 10-31-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post: