julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

This is frustrating. I support marriage equality 100 percent! I am extremely pleased that President Obama has publicly stated that same sex couples have the right to marry.

Ok. So now let's look at what exactly he said and how that affects the still ongoing fight for marriage equality. DOMA, while not being defended by his Justice Department, is not on his agenda to repeal. He said that on The View yesterday. Without the repeal of DOMA same sex couples will not enjoy the rights of tranferring social security benefits, having access to federal pensions, enjoying federal tax treatments for married couples or surviving spouses, and immigration. These are all things that have been mentioned in this thread that will not be changed by what President Obama said.

We are still in the same space as before. Yes we have recognition and that is very important!!!!

The second issue is the emphasis on gay marriage as THE issue facing queer people. It is one issue. Everyone has their idea as to how marriage equality will affect other issues queer folks face. I have heard compelling arguments on either side. I do not understand why we have to all be if the same opinion.
julieisafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to julieisafemme For This Useful Post: