How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,620 Times in 2,489 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I don’t care to have to argue, prove or debate my civil rights either. Yet, nobody is offering to give them to me. And I sure don’t fit society’s idea of normal. That’s not likely to change any time soon either. And I’m very okay with that. Nor do I believe gay marriage is the only gay issue. As far as human rights issues are concerned it’s not even in the top ten. That said I certainly support gay marriage. And although Obama’s personal declaration concerning queer marriage is not going to translate into legislation at this time, it is acceptance on a personal level and that has value. You cannot legislate acceptance. You cannot legislate public opinion. You cannot pass laws that will erase bigotry. That happens gradually over time and movements in that direction are just as important as legislation in my opinion because once you have acceptance legislation is much easier to come by. Although traditionally it is not done that way. It is usually civil rights that are legislated and then with any luck acceptance follows a few hundred (sometimes a few thousand) miles behind.

I have to say I am having a bit of a difficult time understanding what is going on in this thread. I'm not following it. I'm not even sure where the dissention lies exactly. People seem to mostly agree or maybe it's just that I don't get it. I don't know where the paths diverge, except maybe in regards to the level of importance that should be placed on Obama's declaration. Or maybe on gay marriage? Too much thinking makes my head hurt.
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post: