View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Dutch Leonard

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Butch

Tournaments Won: 7

Dutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST ReputationDutch Leonard Has the BEST Reputation
Default Changing Gender Marker on US Passport

I wondered if anyone had had any experience doing this, since Google isn't being my friend on this topic.

I work in a post office and we do passports. I vaguely recall seeing a memo about transgender people from the Dept of State, something to the effect that a doctor's note was all that was needed to change one's gender when they applied for a passport.

Today, a trans woman came in with her current passport as a male and I told her she could do it as a renewal by mail as long as she met all the other requirements for doing a DS-82 and include information from her doctor along with her fee, her current passport and a new picture.

However, since she mentioned having gone to Thailand for surgery, I wonder if she isn't going to have a problem. I was looking at the US Dept of State site tonight and when you search for "gender" on the site, I did find a link for what they want in that doctor letter. And that is about it, there is not a lot of info at travel.state.gov about this issue.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get...irst_5100.html

I was surprised at the very long and specific list of what they want and doubt that a doctor in Thailand would have a DEA registration number. This makes it look like it has to be a US physician. If she doesn't have a US physician, is she hosed?

I ought to be able to call our regional passport agency to clarify things but we haven't had any luck getting those guys on the phone lately. We leave messages and they don't call us back. I'd hate for her to send money in only to find out they won't do it and those fees aren't refundable.
Dutch Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote