Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
There were some great posts....somewhere....it escapes me now....about how folks felt when they quit smoking. I think it was Gayla who said that she didn't know who she was without ciggies. It brought on fear.

You've been smoking for a loooooong time. I would wager that it's a similar situation with you, subconsciously. You'll have to get to know yourself as a non-smoker and that is someone you don't know now.

I'm not a smoker. My mom and her two-fisted chain smoking ways fixed that. My honey smoked though. He quit this year and I'm so very proud of him. He'd tried before without success until he was ready to quit. Everything lined up for him. He set his mind to it and his body was ready (the ciggies actually began to make him nauseous) and he had emotional support (me!) lined up. Trifecta!

It's good that you are seeking support and I wish you the very best in quitting.

Yes, it was gayla. I don't know where I saw the post either, but I commented on it. She is so right about that...it is about loss and that whole "who am I as a non smoker? I like my smoker self!". It is a part of our identity. I felt lost without it (quit one year ago this month), but somehow the "blanks" filled in.

Chantix is what worked for me.

http://www.chantix.com/

Some insurance companies will pay for it (mine didn't) and some States will pay for it. My state pays for it and it has nothing to do with income, you just have to be willing to let a nurse call you every week to check in and ask how you are doing.

My work paid for it (b/c I work at a medical institution, so they know the high cost of smoker's medical care!), and they made me pay the first month's worth (like $120 or something!), and then they paid for subsequent months.

As a side note, if you do this, some studies have shown that if you take it for 6 months (instead of the standard 3 months), you will have a better chance of staying free of smoking. I talked the nurse into it at my job and I really think it made a difference.

Good luck to all! Hang in there! And know it is worth it!

ETA: I also switched to hot tea in the morning instead of coffee and didn't drink beer for a month. Two things that go good with a cig.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: