meridiantoo

How Do You Identify?:
A Speck in the Milky Way
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Monogamous relationship

Thanked 2,299 Times in 890 Posts
meridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputationmeridiantoo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren_Q View Post
I do use e-cigs and also have strong options on the use of them. For one, I do see them as a substitute for smoking and keep the same behaviors as I did when I smoked. I do not vape when I'm in a restaurant, meeting, in my cube at work. I do not vape in other peoples homes. My feelings are even though the vapor is "generally recognized as safe", I do not wish to impose on others.

Loren
I read the last 2 posts, this one being one of them, and this is my thought. As a smoker, I have noticed there are different types of smokers. Some are rude and do not care where they light up nor who is affected, and that has always bothered me. Then there are others who are respectful and understand the consequences of smoking and do not impose that risk on others. I imagine this is just an extension of behaviors developed over life and tied to your particular sense of respect/ethics/consideration/social responsibility. That does not mean I have never smoked somewhere it was best not to. I am human. But, I have always tried to keep it respectful, to the degree that you can considering what you are doing.

As a vaper, I will follow the same principles I follow with smoking cigarettes:

1) I will not smoke in anyone's home and I will not vape in anyone's home.

2) I will not vape in situations that are obviously inappropriate (children's birthday parties, hospital, inside a restaurant or store (even if it is allowed), etc.

3) For me, a sense of shame has always been attached to smoking. I will likely carry this same feeling into vaping. I don't fight that shame because I think there is a plausible reason my conscious is telling me to feel shame (just my opinion and I don't throw this on anyone else). As such, I will likely not vape in public often, if at all.

4) If I were in a vaping-accepting environment, then I likely would go ahead and do it. This would be rare occasions, I would think.

5) Do unto others as you would have done unto you - that is what I try to live by, though I'm not always successful. This just gives me a common sense template in making decisions that affect others. I will adhere to this in vaping until I am 100% nicotine free, at which point I will put vaping aside.

If I were in a public place and someone vaped, I'm not sure if I would think it was wrong or not. I can understand needing to do it. I think it would disturb me if someone vaped in a totally inappropriate environment, but I don't think most people would do that.

I'm so encouraged to see this thread here. It gives me a sense of support while making this transition using the e-cig.