Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
So, just out of curiosity...would you call someone a dyke if she were a girly-girl, 'high-femme'?

I'm from the old school, and in my day the word 'dyke' was used for women who, from their attire and aggressive demeanor usually attributed to males, were thought of as 'butch', but more commonly called 'dyke'. The word, usually uttered by straights, was meant to be derisive and offensive - that is why I don't like the word. However, these days I'm seeing that the 'd' word is being applied to all or most lesbians no matter how they i.d.

Comments anyone?
To me, "dyke" connotes an attitude and way of being, not a particular look. I am really girly. It's just me, not something I cultivate. My partner insists I am "a femme," and she can think what she likes. That's not really how I see myself. I'm told that I would look girly in a burlap sack, so it can't be the way I look that makes me a dyke.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post: