View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #45
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
One quarter of the U.S. population live in food insecure households. I am sure older people are contributing to their children's and grandchildren's income. Who wouldn't?

There used to be jobs that would employ people at a wage which could keep them going, but they are gone.

Don't get me started on that.

So many of my co-workers are completely hardened to the stories from people calling for payment arrangements on their utility bills. Yes, there are the deadbeats, but there is also a huge group of people who are working their asses off, and only barely treading water. Some of them formerly had a good income, owned their own homes, and had savings accounts, before their company laid them off, and/or sent jobs out of this country. It sickens me.

Honestly, as a home owner, working full time, at a pretty decent wage, with all the bells and whistles of good benefits, there are times when I struggle. So, I can only imagine what folks are experiencing while working more than one minimum wage job, without any health care benefits, and still not coming close to my yearly income. I've heard people who have grown up with privilege, comment that some people just don't make good investment decisions, and their responsible for that, but I ask you...What the hell do they have at the end of the day to invest in their future, or their children's future? Nada.

As for the subject of the thread...

If you look at cultures in some other countries, it is normal for an entire family to share one dwelling, its inhabitants' expenses, cost of upkeep, and responsibilities. Whether there are 5 people or, 15 people in the household, they share expenses/responsibility.

In my experience, the problem I hear about from a lot of my customers, is that adult children are moving back home, and expecting a free ride. That even if they are working, they are not making any effort to pay their way (while sitting home on the internet, blasting heating/AC to ridiculous comfort levels, and enjoying 30+ minute hot showers twice a day). This is something that really ticks me off, I do not have any respect for people who feel entitled to take advantage of family members, roommates, or government programs. When it is parents allowing this to happen, I think the blame goes both ways. In other words, I feel that they have a responsibility to their children to cut the cord with firm intention.

My parents sent me to the school of hard knocks. If I fail, I am the one responsible for picking myself up, dusting my ass off, and being responsible for fixing my own financial issues. They taught me that my choices led to certain results, some good, some very bad. At times, when I struggled, this seamed heartless and unfair of my parents. But, what I learned by experiencing hard times, is that I'm not entitled to shit, unless I earn it. So, I am grateful to my parents for expecting me to rely on myself, and take responsibility for my own life.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post: