Old 09-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Penelope

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
In Love♥

Penelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mid-Life Career Changes - Some Thoughts

Perhaps I look at careers as evolutionary but few people stay in the same position anymore. I think as time moves on, you learn new things and realize there are other opportunities. If you stay in a field just because you have always done it but do not enjoy the work that you do, it might be time to take a look at your quality of life and whether you are placing enough importance on it (general you, not you specifically).

I started out in training but really wanted to work in non-profits. I don't have a background in what they are typically looking for but I took my clerical skills and parlayed that in to a position, and then another one, and another one.... I've been working in the admin field for 10+ years in a variety of industries.

I knew I wanted a change but had to figure out how to do that with the least amount of effort. Not because I am lazy but because I am 40 and don't want to go to school for another 2-5 years (I already have a B.A.) nor do I have a lot of expendable cash. So you start thinking about what you want to do, what will make you happy, what might be a lot of work but worth it at the end of every day. Life is too short to be miserable at work or not follow your passion.

The answer for me was working with animals, of which I had NO previous experience. But this is where you really have to think out of the box - how can I sell myself? What skills do I possess that are transferable? I had volunteered at zoos before, I was helping out at an animal shelter, I even had a pet sitting business on the side. I tried to make these things work for me in cover letters and interviews.

Everyone loved me but no one was willing to take on someone with no veterinary background; I had to do more. I found an online program that I could learn vet medicine terminology, anatomy, and other field-related topics that would at least give me a base of knowledge. I'm still taking the course but I finally found a practice that was willing to give my office skills a try since they could tell I was interested in learning more about the field. I couldn't be happier!

On a side note, I just left a career services job at a college that has a nursing program. There are several things I learned: you are never too old to do this but be aware that not everyone in the medical field will be open-minded about age.

Nursing programs are hard work so make sure you really want to do it and are fully committed. Keeping the end in sight is what will get you through the tough times. Research different nursing schools and their reputation in the field. Don't go through the quickest or cheapest school if hospitals and nursing facilities won't hire their grads. Does the program prepare you to take the NCLEX (nursing board exam)?

In almost every state, you have to be registered and/or licensed as a nurse. What experiences can you bring to this position? Consider volunteering while going to school. They will be more likely to hire you if you have had some exposure to the medical field; a degree is not enough. Some areas will hire nursing grads with an Associates but some require a Bachelors.