View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
girllikeu2

How Do You Identify?:
Dingbat
Relationship Status:
Facebook Official

Thanked 1,100 Times in 288 Posts
girllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputationgirllikeu2 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
OT is cool. I currently only work with one OT, for a kid with TBI. She seems to love her job. I agree re the applying and reapplying for years. Wouldn't be worth it.

Re getting hurt on the job, it's a risk -- though less of one -- for teachers too. And there is little recourse. I would, however, never work anywhere I did not have a union.

Martina, teacher's unions have been stripped of their power and are basically useless. I didn't even join this year because my previous 3 years I joined and was "surplussed" anyway. The district I am currently working in isn't honoring my years of experience and I am currently making EXACTLY what I made in 2001 when I jumped from private to public schools. Rent is a bit higher (and I have a kid now) so my standard of living is down. I am putting exactly $0 away for retirement right now.

I did a little salary research and it seems that if I get an RN degree (not a BSN - just the RN) I'd make MORE than I am currently making within a few years.

I understand I won't enjoy regular 2 week "holidays" (where I am often working in my classroom or doing paper work anyway) as a nurse. I think I am ready to give it up to do something I am pretty sure I will like (maybe A LOT) since I already prefer working with students with major medical issues and have enjoyed learning about their needs.

In high school I aspired to nursing but was convinced away from it by my sad algebra grade and a misinformed teacher.

I feel that if I make this leap, I am doing what I should have done 20 years ago. Better late than never.
girllikeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girllikeu2 For This Useful Post: