How Do You Identify?:
High Femme Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am
Relationship Status:
widowed - involved, poly

14 Highscores

Thanked 27,225 Times in 5,158 Posts
GeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST ReputationGeorgiaMa'am Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
Dear Wife and I live in central Texas, in an area that is about an hour an and half from any of the sizeable metropolitan cities in Texas. We're not really what you'd call "rural", but we have decent shopping, meaning no Costco nearby, but a couple of Sam's Clubs and the usual chain and Texas grocery stores, like HEB, Aldi's and such. I'm not sure what the population is in this area, but I'm certain that it's much smaller than anywhere else, except Maine and Iowa, that I have ever lived in my life. It's okay. I'm getting used to it!!! LOL

So yesterday, Dear Wife and I had to get out to Jackson Hewitt to sign and file our federal income tax return. The branch where we were going is located right inside the door of a local WalMart supercenter. Now, I have to say that I have not gotten out of the house in the last 2 weeks, except to get the mail at the mailbox cluster in our neighborhood. Dear Wife has made one or two trips to the grocery store to do curbside pickups for our groceries. What I saw on our local roads and in the parking lot of that WalMart supercenter literally floored me!!! It's like frippin' CHRISTMAS at WalMart and on the roads!!!! I mean CROWDS!!! We circled the parking lot and front door area of that WalMart and there were people flooding in and out with their shopping buggies, families, including small children and BABIES!! One guy had a McDonald's fast food bag in his hand, eating hand to mouth!!! No one was wearing a mask, or gloves or practicing social distancing!!! Here we were, she and I, with our industrial sized bottle of hand sanitizer, our boxes of nitrile gloves and our Lysol spray, being so careful to watch everything we touched, and then clean it right away, and these fools were just out there like it was Christmas!! Dear Wife nearly went into a full fledged panic attack and I had to calm her down and assure her that we were NOT NOT NOT going "in there" or anywhere near those dumbass people. I didn't care if our tax returns took until perdition to be signed and filed.

All I could think was........we're fucked. This is exactly how this disease is going to spread and, eventually, consume this nation, I'm sure. Why and how people can possibly be this stupid is just beyond the beyonds to me.

When our nation entered the War on Terrorism, back in the early 2000's (2003), my Pop, who was part of the Greatest Generation, and who lived through both the Great Depression and the bombing of Pearl Harbor, made a very profound observation. He said that he couldn't believe the way that this country, the USA, was acting, and that to a casual observer, it was impossible to tell that we were a "nation at war". He said that there was absolutely no evidence that the average American citizen was "sacrificing" anything.....except the military communities. We are, apparently, now a nation of people who, by and large, refuse to make any kind of sacrifice for our common good, even when it involves our very lives. We won't be inconvenienced, go out of our way or think of anyone but ourselves and our own wants, desires and goals. If it's not in our direct "bubble", it doesn't affect us and does not warrant any direct regard or action on our part. So much for "pulling together", which I'm not so sure that this country remembers how to do.

This is dangerous, folks. I think we're fucked, if this keeps up.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

~Theo~
I think you're right, we're fucked. This is how 100,000-200,000 Americans are going to die. Many others will show symptoms and be sick. And many others, who are a big part of the problem, will be asymptomatic carriers.

I live in a fairly urban area where people are _mostly_ sticking to the guidelines - not all, for sure. But in the rural area where my sister and mom live, there's such an entitled attitude of "America's a free country, you can't tell me what to do!" When did we stop teaching kids that with great freedom comes great responsibility?

I don't know what to do about it except try not to panic too much, and keep washing my hands and using sanitizer.

It's been so lonely without you here
Like a bird without a song
Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling . . .
'Cause nothing compares, nothing compares 2 U

- Prince
GeorgiaMa'am is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeorgiaMa'am For This Useful Post: