View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #22
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,095 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoingfemme View Post
Squash Soup
  • 2 large, 3 small winter squash (Butternut, Acorn, or Pumpkin are best)
  • 16 oz coconut milk - the kind in a can that has the nice thick stuff on top)
  • 2c vegetable broth
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ t red curry paste
  • 1t ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425
Bake the squash whole for about 45-60 minutes. Let it cool. Then slice squash in half, scoop seeds out, and then scoop out the "meat" and mash it up a bit with a potato masher.

Put the squash, garlic, half of the broth, and all of the coconut milk into a food processor or blender and puree the heck out of it.

Pour all of that into a good size pot on the stove over medium heat. Stir and let cook until heated through, 5-10 min most likely. Add spices and season to taste. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.

You can make this more on the sweet side using just things like the cinnamon and little bit of maple syrup and almond extract, or make it more savory, eliminating the maple and using the curry/garlic. Or you can mix it all up and have the full sweet/savory experience.

This is VERY similar to my Butternut Squash Bisque recipe. Only difference is I use a dry Tunisian Harissa spice blend and some cardamom instead of the curry paste and cinnamon. Or I add one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce to a big pot of it.

-Me

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark." ~ Henri Frederic Amiel
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post: