How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation
Default This Kansas School Board Passed An Anti-Transgender Bathroom Rule Inspired By Trump

A school board outside of Wichita, Kansas, voted this week to ban transgender students from bathrooms that match their gender identity, saying they took license for the new rule from the Trump administration. “Trump was basically leaving it up to us,” Tina Prunier, a member of the Derby Board of Education, told BuzzFeed News in explaining her vote in favor of the rule. “I thought it would be best for the district overall.”

But lawyers for progressive LGBT groups countered that regardless of the federal government’s position, private citizens can still sue the district if a transgender student comes forward with a complaint. “We are standing ready to file lawsuits against school districts like this one that are discriminating against transgender students,” Demoya Gordon, a staff attorney for Lambda Legal, told BuzzFeed News. “There is no staying out of this issue. This is a federal civil-rights issue. This district has exposed itself to a lawsuit.”

To get context for the school board’s vote on Monday, you must rewind to last year. At the time, the district had the same ban on transgender student restroom access it adopted this week — for example, transgender girls couldn’t use the girls restroom.

But in May 2016, the Obama administration announced that all federally funded schools must accommodate transgender students in facilities that match their gender identity. That guidance was based on an interpretation of Title IX, a civil rights law that bans sex discrimination in schools. The Derby Board of Education, in turn, voted to conform to that federal policy — leading some parents to complain.

Cut to 2017: The Trump administration last week withdrew the Obama-era rule, saying that states and local jurisdictions could decide for themselves.
Many states and district decided to keep their trangender-friendly rules in place. But the Derby Board of Education voted 5-2 this week to go back to their original procedure for transgender students. They voted on how they would handle the matter — to ban transgender students from restrooms that match their gender and attempt to offer them other accommodations — even though it was not codified in a written document.

In an interview, Prunier had a hard time explaining her vote to block transgender students from certain restrooms, other than saying that Trump allowed the district to do so, and that it was the district’s best interest.
“To be quite honest, it’s not something I have gone over in my mind,” she replied when asked why she said it was best for her district. “It’s not something I feel strongly one way or another about — their personal rights or how they wish to be.”con't...
https://www.buzzfeed.com/dominichold...epY#.syX1b5KNE

I truly hope that Prunier reads this article she is quoted in, especially the part I bolded, and does some serious thinking/soul searching. I also hope that one of the students does come forth and sue in order to have their rights reestablished. It sucks big time that we are still having to fight tooth and nail to be granted simple human dignities that most others take for granted! I'm so pissed right now!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post: