Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #15
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,943 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
Frankly I am disappointed in the whole thing. The confusing/bad calls and drama took away from the game.
Also, it just doesnt seem fair that the US team has training facilities of the very highest quality, conditioning coaches, physical trainers, nutritionists, and on and on with the bankrolling of the team - and then to cheer that the USA won because of their fitness. Its like cheering when the NY Yankees beat a tram with no payroll.
The Brazil women's team hardly has any support in Brazil because they are women. The team members usually have to live in other countries if they want to play. Marta has to play for Rochester NY. She showed today that she is a passionate player with the skills to back up her fire. How many balls got into the net today past Hope Solo -- two from Marta and three penalty kicks (one of them from Marta). Hmmm 5 goals scored on Hope Solo.
So big nationalistic whoop for the USA today.
I guess I just need to let go of the outdated idea of a "level playing field" - even if it's a soccer pitch.
I agree with you, to an extent. I also appreciate your point of view but would like to add my personal experience.

Coming from one of the countries that the US Women's team beat, embarrassingly so, I am familiar with the uneven playing field.

Men teams here get what little resources the country has to offer, and they are scarce, and the women's team is seen as a joke. They have to practice in empty fields, have very little government and corporate support and are basically on their own. What little equipment they get is second or third grade, and forget about any training facilities. I see them running on our crowded streets as their means of "training".

What we do have is plenty of raw talent, as does Brazil, but as has been demonstrated, that is not always enough.

Having said that, as a fan, a global one at that, I admire the skills and talent of any team, most particularly the US team which is also my other home team. I admire the fantastic show put on by both teams and I admire the fact that women, especially in Latin American countries, are getting a shot at a sport that is predominately men dominated. Kudos to all!

From the age of 12 on to my early 20s, I was an avid soccer player and in the states I was considered a pretty good player. Not so for much because I had awesome skills, but because I was one of a handful women players at the time. I am more than thrilled to see the sport get this international exposure and can only hope that it continues to grow and provide us with some wonderful plays, such as the goal in the video i posted.

Bad calls are always part of the equation, and to fall back on those after the fact it is to me the easiest and most used way of excusing the other team's loss. It happens in every sport, it happens in any gender. It is predictable and frankly not a very good argument.

I am looking forward to an exciting final!
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post: