View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #16
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
<snip>

Coming from one of the countries that the US Women's team beat, embarrassingly so, I am familiar with the uneven playing field.

Men teams here get what little resources the country has to offer, and they are scarce, and the women's team is seen as a joke. They have to practice in empty fields, have very little government and corporate support and are basically on their own. What little equipment they get is second or third grade, and forget about any training facilities. I see them running on our crowded streets as their means of "training".

What we do have is plenty of raw talent, as does Brazil, but as has been demonstrated, that is not always enough.

Having said that, as a fan, a global one at that, I admire the skills and talent of any team, most particularly the US team which is also my other home team. I admire the fantastic show put on by both teams and I admire the fact that women, especially in Latin American countries, are getting a shot
Really well stated, U, thank you.

Economic disparity is an unfortunate aspect of global competition, and thankfully doesn't seem to dampen effort and heart. It's also fortunate that - limited though it may be - the opportunity exists for these women to play on professional teams where they can receive exposure to that intense level of competition, as well as training resources.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post: