Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
please don't feel nervous! the fact of your being self-aware and secure enough to admit to a mistake actually makes you the complete opposite of the kinds of offenders this thread is about!
Thanks. I don't think it makes me the exact opposite, but I strive more and more to be the opposite of those things. I don't know what lies at the heart of those who have done or do far worse - I guess most likely it's not just one single quality or motivation. For myself personally I think I live somewhere in the addiction and codependent spectrum and both of those have something to do with control.

I have the capacity for cruelty - as evidenced even in a few of my posts here and others on the dash site. I once accused June publicly of lying (which i regret very much) and refused to take it back - rather than approaching things from a place of understanding or seeking to understand. I've been pretty horrible really though at those times I always felt that I was in the right, that I was embracing justice or truth or standing up for others. But in the end, that behavior is just bad behavior - it's bullying behavior. It may not be as extreme as most behavior listed above, but I would think it's somewhere in the spectrum of abusive. If there isn't a bullying thread on this site, maybe I will start one some time soon, especially in light of recent suicides of bullied teens. I want to think that people can heal, change and grow. I have been trying to do so. I don't want to be an asshole.

I think being committed to changing specific behavior is the quick (and necessary) fix, but I think to change long-term requires sea-change and though I have come a long way so far in my life, I do not know if I am capable of the deepest level of change or if there are tools or methods available for doing that. So far, and the initial motivation I have had for exploring it, spirituality is the one tool I have found that helps me relinquish my need to control myself, others and/or situations even a little. I know there must be other tools and I know spirituality is odious to many and has been used as a tool of abuse extremely often as well. I don't really have many other tools at hand, but I would like to.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post: