Old 12-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowchick07 View Post
So my story goes like this: My parents are Bahai, (http://info.bahai.org/) but never really practiced. We had some books lying around and they talked about it every now and again, but that was about it. I longed for some sort of sprituality. So as a child I would go to the Sunday bible study at the Christian church down the road. But I never felt quite right. I mostly kept going for the arts and crafts and snacks. As I go older the desire for sprituality still haunted me. I read books on Wicca, but that didnt really work for me. I talked to friends of other faiths, but never found anything that I could relate to. In my late teens I went pretty often to a Christian Megachurch in Alb. until the Pastor said that Homosexuality was causing the death the "American Family." When I moved here I started going to MCC and became an official member, but I still never felt quite right. It felt like a farce. I was going through the motions, bowing my head in prayer, taking communion, but it felt empty.

Then one day, my family and I were having a disscussion about religion and the subject of Buddhism came up and none of knew what Buddhism actually was. So being the little researcher that I am, I brought out my laptop and looked it up. I came across this article: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/intro_bud.htm

All of a sudden I started to feel like I had found what I had been looking for. So I started reading and researching more. Never in my life have I felt more complete spiritually. Now I am still just reading, I haven't actually started meditating or further investigating the traditions, but it just feels so good to know that there is something out there for me. Some of the books that I have read are Buddhism for Beginners by Thubten Chodron and Introducing Buddhism by Chris Pauling and there is a great list of recommended books here: http://www.sfbuddhistcenter.org/dharma/books.shtml

It's nice to see others on similar paths...

I have not known many practicing Buddhists...but the ones I have known always seemed so centered. (I know that word is almost cliche` any more....)

I've been curious and intrigued about Buddhism, but never really took the time to see if it might suit me.

This past year has been one of many changes...coming to grips with many things....having to give up control....and having now read this article, perhaps this way of life WOULD be the right way for me....it seems to speak to my soul and is reminding me of a compass of sorts.....

Thank You Rainbow.....for posting this.....I am overwhelmed in the best of ways!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote