View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #8
lillith

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you!

lillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputationlillith Has the BEST Reputation

I am doing a research report for my religious studies class, and I decided to attend a temple and it was the most warm and welcoming place I could have gone. The "usher" sat me with this older woman who explained everything to me about what was going on in the service. She was very open to any and all my questions. They gave me books, pamphlets, just about anything that I could read on Buddhaism and Jodo Shinshu. This particular sect focuses on Shinran Shonin and his teachings that suffering is going to happen, but how you choose to deal with it is up to you.

I felt like my past didn't matter, and according to the Rev. it doesn't matter, it is gone just as quickly as it came. Everything is cause and effect. It was amazing. No one cared that I am queer. No one cared that I am a single parent. No one cared about all the stigmas that my life tends to bare. I was greeted with smiles, hardy handsakes, and a genuine niceness that is rare to find in Los Angeles.

The 9:30 am service is geared towards family and the Rev was in the isle getting the children involved, getting the whole congregation involved. I have never been to a service of this sort. It has always been sit down, shut up, and hang on for dear life cause everyone in this joint is going to judge the fuck out of you. It was refreshing and heartwarming. I told my son we will be going back there next week. Today's service was a celebration day - Bodhi Day (Jodo-e). The whole experience left me warm and fuzzy inside.

now how can you ignore a dancing pink elephant?

and how i so wish it would rain here.
lillith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lillith For This Useful Post: