View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
ravfem

How Do You Identify?:
i'm a girl
Relationship Status:
negative

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,269 Posts
ravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputationravfem Has the BEST Reputation

hey y'all

When i was pregnant with my son 20 years ago i developed gestational diabetes and the mid-wife told me that it would put me at increased risk for developing diabetes later in life. Well, i assumed she meant "later" as in 30-40 years later, not 12 years later! There is no family history of it at all.

When i was diagnosed, my blood glucose levels were mid 400s. The dr tried pills and diet first, and my levels kept rising. A couple years into it, she said i'd have to go on insulin. It felt like a death sentence to me. i envisioned lost limbs and eye sight, and quickly spiraling towards death. For a short while i did consider saving up all my insulin and then taking it all at once to just get it over with.

Even with insulin & oral meds, my levels are still pretty high. The only time i get near normal is when i drop rapidly, which sends my body into survival mode even though i'm reading at 140-170. 2 years ago, my endocrinologist told me that for all intents & purposes i have morphed into a Type 1, and that for any medical related situations, i needed to make it clear to the people treating me.

Exercise does help bring me down below 300. i am by no means great with my diet (i am and always will be a chocolate lover, and refuse to give it up completely), though i do try to be conscious of what i eat.

Getting diagnosed and starting treatment immediately put an end to the chronic yeast infections i'd suffered since being a pre-teen. i kinda wonder if i wasn't diabetic back then...they didn't test like they do today, and i remember many times my mama giving me pineapple juice to "bring me back around".

Really, my biggest symptom has always been no energy. i can sleep 12-15 hours with no problem. Some days are worse than others.

Thanks for the thread Jo!

rhonda