Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Reading this thread prompted me to think about the reality of a large group of people of different ages living together. I first posted in this thread, October 2011 and must admit my thoughts are a little different, a year later (and a year older).

On the face of it, it is a wonderful idea and hopefully, not just a pipe dream.

We are a diverse group of people, of not only identities but culture, backgrounds, education, employment and physical abilities (not to mention personalities!)

Currently, we do have a lot of Planet folks with physical disabilities (and perhaps also emotional). To make a dream of communal living a reality, all of these issues would need to be considered.

Boomers never think we will age. I didn't. In my mind, I would always be 25. Somehow, that did not happen! I like what one of the articles below called it: the Peter Pan Syndrome!

Would we have levels of care to try to keep aging LGBTQ folks living independently as long as possible?

Would we ensure that all environments would accommodate those that use canes/wheelchairs and other adaptive devices?

We will continue to age, whether we want to or not or regardless if we like it or not!

Darn it!

Some facts on costs, which may be even higher than when the Healthsense white paper was written:

30 million seniors living independently in their homes: Cost effective

11,000 attending or receiving
Adult Day/Home Health Care: 20K per year

21,000 in Independent Living Facilities Facilities: 20K to 30K per year

2,240 in Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC’s)
$32K/year

33,000 in Assisted Living facilities
30K per year

17,000 in Skilled Nursing/Memory Care Facilities
$74K/year

1. Seniors’ Desire: Live as independently as possible for as long as possible
2. Cost effective alternatives to expensive SNF’s

"According to a new survey from the Hartford and the MIT AgeLab, half of boomers plan to stay in their current home as they age; however most have not made a plan to make their home more usable as physical abilities change.

The Hartford survey revealed that as far as adults ages 46-65, are concerned, 77% have talked to their spouse or partner about future housing needs but only 29% have made a plan, and 96% of those surveyed were aware of changes they could make to their current home to make it more livable as they age, but only 26% have made such changes.

That suggests too many of us are living in what some experts have dubbed Peter Pan housing - homes designed for people who will never get old.

I’m the first to admit that baby boomers actually don’t think we will get old."

http://www.healthsense.com/phocadown...ate/hs_aip.pdf

http://www.purdue.edu/retirees/docs/SeniorLiving.pdf

http://www.retiredbrains.com/Home/Se...e/default.aspx

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post: