theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Wow, have things ever changed in the past 39 years since I trained at Parris Island MCRD and earned my Title (U.S. Marine). Watching this, I'm filled with pride, yet I feel a bit jealous, too. I'm extremely proud that Women Marines have made these giant steps of equality, and a large part of that is the fact that that accomplishment is largely due to the courage and commitment of not only my generation, but of millions of others who came before. On the other hand, I'm jealous that my generation didn't get the opportunity to meet the challenges that this new generation has.

To understand my perspective here, let me say that my boot camp series (each "series"/company consists of 2 platoons), back in the Spring of 1979, was only the second series to be issued the camouflage utility uniform (aka "BDU's" or Battle Dress Uniform) and leather combat boots. Prior to that, the female utility uniform consisted of a pair of blue trousers/slacks and a light blue blouse. Back then, we didn't get training with the M16 rifle in boot camp, nor did we receive any instruction with hand to hand combat. Instead, we had classes on makeup and military bearing.

Still, I am pretty proud to have served as a Woman Marine. Nowdays, I just call myself a Marine. It's what I am and will always be. Semper Fi.

~Theo~