Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #72
Lady_Wu

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Queer Stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
M'Lady
Relationship Status:
given up looking *sigh*

Lady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST ReputationLady_Wu Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Re: the Uncarved Block

I want to explore the concept of the Uncarved Block by means of another small quote from the Daode Jing:
daily knowledge, daily gain
daily Tao, daily loss
(Laozi)
The word translated as "Uncarved Block" in Chinese is P'u or P'o. Ir refers to the state of original simplicity, orginal being-as-it-is. The more knowledge I have about a tree, for, instance, the less I am able to experience the tree-as-it-is. My knowledge is wrapped around me until all I can see about the tree are my concepts of "leaves" "green" "bark" "brown", etc. All I can hear about the tree is"blowing in the wind" "branches rustling" "leaves falling" etc. I can not see or hear a tree in front of me as it is. The concept of P'u is very important in the Daode Jing. Returning to a state where one can experience the original state of the world, become like a babe is the aim of the Daode Jing. I am born into the world able to experience the world-as-it-is. The more I grow, the more I learn about the world. The greater and denser becomes the cloak of knowledge, or words,even, that obscures this world that I once knew. The less I am able to do without this cloak, this "action" about action (wu wei). The aim of Taoism is to unwrap this cloak, to become like a babe, to erase the carvings upon the block of wood. To, ultimately, learn how to be and do nothing.
Lady_Wu
This will put into my blog. For those of you who are interested:
http://namelessgate-returntothewuchi.blogspot.com
I THINK this will get you to the blog. So sorry about my typos last time. If it does NOT work, please PM me to let me know. In some ways, the computer is an "Uncarved Block" to me.