Old 09-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #17
crashhere4eva

How Do You Identify?:
Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, hym...I'm not gonna bite your head off about it
Relationship Status:
Busy... Teaching a hott professor

crashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputationcrashhere4eva Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this post but I will post it here and if I need to move it let me know. I put it here because I sent it to Curves Magazine during the time weddings were being considered in my home state of MA. I was part of the activism that helped lobby for marriages. It was also during that time when religious people were flying flags saying "Give God His Rainbow Back". Like I said, if it's in the wrong place let me know.

12/07/06
I understand that there are people who do not "believe" in same sex marriage and am not trying to change their beliefs. We all have different convictions; which is my point. We all should be able to have our convictions without infringing on the basic rights of others. Anyone has the right to disagree and to speak but not the right to take my happiness away from me nor I from them. Exhibiting hatefulness (by either side of the issue) will not make the world a better place.

In terms of "voting" on "same sex marriage" if we do that, what is next? Shall we "vote" on how many marriages heterosexuals are allowed to have? Shall "the people vote" that once heterosexual people marry they shall never divorce? Shall we take away that loop hole in case the "one man and one woman" isn't happy after all? Shall "we the people of America" "vote" on banning divorce or remarrying because we know how negatively it can affect children? Shall we "vote" on which religion the United States should follow? Does anyone divorcing, remarrying, exercising their religious freedom etc. take away my own personal rights? No, of course it does not. This country is big enough for people who are different from each other but let us all respect each other. We all do not believe exactly alike. My rights end where yours begin and vice versa.

On a personal note, I would like to offer some insight and say that for years I suffered by not understanding my sexuality but then when I finally came to terms with it... it made me free. If I do not marry a woman (which is natural for me); is it proposed that I shall not marry at all or that I shall marry a man (just for the sake of him being the opposite gender and that some people in America "voted" that I should)? Further more, shall I marry him knowing full well that my mind, my soul, my body, my spirit and my heart is not with him? I do not think that is respectful and loving to men and they deserve those things just like anybody else. To a woman those things come naturally for me and I know that not everyone in the world understands or accepts it but that's my (and others) reality of it. It's a reality that I'm not ashamed of or sorry for anymore.

I realize that the Bible speaks of "Adam and Eve" per say but not everyone in the world believes exactly like the person next to them. Who is any human to judge another? I would like to respectfully address the infamous "Give God His Rainbow Back" banner and say that you have the right to free speech but may I ask who is anyone (including me) to say that that rainbow is not for a group of people? Yes, the rainbow is a specific icon for my community but we are not telling anyone that it's not for them, that it's just ours to enjoy or that "God" gave it to us only. We are not asking to be married in churches who exercise their right not to marry us because of their religious beliefs. We all have different journeys in life and only love (whatever form that may take on) is going to heal us from whatever scars that individual journey has left for us. It's my understanding that no matter how different we all are the message "God" wants us to know is that love is a desirable attribute over hate.

Let me also say to my fellow GLBT "family" that we should be careful in representing ourselves to be kind and loving to our different neighbor who may or may not "believe" in our "lifestyle" so to speak. Let us be strong and stand for our cause but let's do it by treating others in the way that we are anticipating them to treat us. Let us set a standard for ourselves and how we overcome bigotry and hate.

Respectfully Submitted