View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I also deal with hearing challenges. While I may hear sounds, I have a difficult time understanding what someone is actually saying; especially if the person has a deeper voice. I hear high tones fine, but lower, deeper tones either I don't hear at all or cannot make out words. I am notorious for asking people to repeat themselves, sometimes to where after I have asked them to repeat themselves numerous times down to one word not being understood, and then I end up repeating what I understood and then I request them to spell the word I am just not getting. People have been really good about it and if I see them get frustrated, I will then disclose my hearing impairment. It is very frustrating because even in the movie theater I lose a lot of what is being said. I think this is why I prefer action movies to dramas as action movies usually don't have a lot of talking.

I too have done the smile and nod and not understood a word someone has said. I watch lips and am very keen on watching body language to help me.

I have tried a hearing aid, but all it did was amplify background noise and holy crap.... forget when a siren goes off... I couldn't get the volume down fast enough.

I try my best to work with it everyday, and some days are okay, but then there are days where I just get tired... tired of feeling like I am missing out on some things. (which i am in a sense)

So hi to everyone.. And thanks nycfembbw for starting this thread.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: