Old 10-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #5029
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Yesterday was a big step day for me....over 12,000! My average work day is around 7000-7500 and my average off day at home is usually about 2000-2500 steps. It's not that I'm not doing anything; it's just that I'm usually organizing or sorting stuff and my pedometer doesn't register side to side or rounded movements.

I have the weekend off so I expect my numbers to be low at least one of the days but I have plans for the kitchen so intentional movement will commence.

Previously, I mentioned I was working on my sugar intake. I've always been concerned about it since diabetes runs in my family but not enough to do anything about it, because I'm a self-diagnosed sugar-holic and I wanted sweet stuff so I ate and drank sweet stuff. The sweeter the better. I suppose we all are, at least initially, as mother's milk has sugars in it and that helps to set our palates.

I read a book last month that I've had on my shelf for years. Years! And I never opened it. You can lead a horse to water....right? Anywho, I read this book called The Sugar Smart Diet and it's really changed the way I look at what I put into my body. I read labels more carefully and am starting to turn into that crazy lady in the grocery store that talks to the products. I'm pretty sure I asked a prepared bag of salad if it was kidding me and told another one to take a hike. To be fair, it's not the book since I talk to my car all the time. I keep waiting for that Disney moment when something comes alive and sings a song.

So, I'm starting to avoid added sugars like the plague and really pick and choose what other sugars I put into my body since women should only have about 25 grams or 6 teaspoons of sugar per day. I was very surprised how fast that adds up. I knew sugar was in pasta sauce and salad dressing and bbq sauce and ketchup and many, many other savory flavored foods and condiments but I didn't realize just how much it was.

I'm not doing the diet itself because it requires you cut sugar cold turkey for about a week but I am becoming more vigilant about the sugars I choose to take in and it's paying off. It's been almost 6 weeks and I've dropped 10lbs with no additional effort other than having arguments with myself as to what I want and what I should have to eat, especially at night. That's my weak time.

Next month, I want to add in a couple days at the gym. Nothing crazy; just my old friend the elliptical. I won't have much time since I'll be doing 50+ hour work weeks soon but my gym is 24 hours so with some adjustments to my schedule, I really think I can knock another 10lbs off the scale. That's my plan, anyway.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 10-17-2020 at 09:18 AM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: