View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #72
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs down Well, well, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Hmmmm.... I was thrown by your query about the first mainstream successful HARD rock band. Which I believe is Girlschool. The Runaways were later and not as successful. I believe one of the members of Girlschool (the drummer?) later joined the Go-Go's and after that played some lez festivals?
Unless you mean The Slits which were certainly HARD but considered more punk than rock.
Back further than Girlschool, and mainstream and popular? And HARD rock? And all-female? No one that I know of.

Now if we are talking about regular blues-based rock, history of rock and (non-hard) roll and all, then the first mainstream all-female rock band would probably be the GTO's.
YouTube- the GTOs (Girls Together Outrageously), 1969

But I'm thinking you mean the Fannies. Blues based rock remarkable for existing in a man's world circa 1970 (or whenever). They rocked! In a 70's Tv friendly non- hard way! lol. But seriously, they totally rocked.
Another good choice here with the "GTO's", but the key was "major recording labels". Back in the day there were only a few of them - ya got in, or ya "didn't"! One gal from this band here [you posted] was a nanny to Frank Zappa kids, and I'm sure that HE was considered an "independent" label then. So when these "girls" here from Haight Ashbury got bored, they did record one album... yes. Frank produced it. Actually, I can hear his "influence" in this one song you posted.

QUOTE BY DAVID BOWIE: (Rolling Stone magazine 12/99)

"One of the most important bands in American Rock has been buried without a trace. And that is Fanny. They were extraordinary. They wrote everything, they played like motherfuckers. They were colossal and wonderful, and nobody's ever mentioned them. They're as important as anyone's ever been, ever; it just wasn't their time. Revivify Fanny and I will feel that my work has been done."

Whoa.

Now, you were a little bad here by stating a couple different choices in one post. (i.e. Could be this one, but might be that one... lol!)

HOWEVER, YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!!!!!!!!!

Fanny recorded rock from 1970 - 1975. Sisters June and Jean Millington originally formed the band (called Wild Honey, pre-recording).

Bands and artists from that time period such as David Bowie, Deep Purple, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Rod Stewart, George Harrison, etc... all helped to promote them. They were blown away by them.

Warner Brothers record producer (of artists like Leo Sayer, Carly Simon, Barbra Steisand) was wanting an all women's rock band. He signed them under contract to WB's subsidiary "Reprise Records".

Prior to Fanny, NO all female band in any genre of music playing their own instruments and writing their own material had ever known true success.

Their 3rd album was recorded in the Beatle's Apple studio, (a now major label in itself, recording artists to follow such as Badfinger, etc...)

Fanny's one single "Young and Dumb" was banned by the BBC and they were banned from performing that at Albert Hall, for it was considered "too provocative".

After their Reprise contract was up, Fanny moved to Casablanca for their final recorded album. Popular 70's bands such as KISS, Village People, Donna Summers, etc... recorded for this label.

By them putting their foot in the door opened to artist like Joan Jett, etc...

Here is a historical film recognizing them as "Women Legends In Music". The quality of the film is terrible, but bear past the first few minutes of sound in and out for the first song, and the "sound" at least does get better. It is rare footage and worth the historical significance IMO:.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWl5Rr0iIi8"]YouTube- FANNY "Legendary Ladies of Rock & Roll"[/ame]

Scorp, with all due respect, I think you will find this "sound" a bit more "hard rock" than the GTO's. Yes? I guess you could say this has a southern blues rock sound to it too... It's the guitar sound, the drumming and bit of belting it out at times in this genre - all not very "lady like" for the time that appalled folks. Literally. They were seen as "freaks" at first, but eventually fought through the harsh criticism to be accepted once people went to their concerts and saw them perform and felt their rock energy.

(Remember the "MONKEES" didn't even all play their own instruments!! Just a little more trivia here.)

They fought very hard to stay away from that "cutesy" feminine look and behavior that was expected of them - to be seen and respected as "musicians FIRST".

Regarding this Charity Ball hit (which I had the 45 record), can you BELIEVE what CHER SAYS AT THE END OF THIS?!! I bet she would take this back in a heartbeat today!! Kind of funny now though...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTA0PHkZbt0"]YouTube- Charity Ball by rock group Fanny[/ame]

____

NEW TRIVIA, but spin-off from this... (?) (Might as well keep doing your homework.) What very popular female vocalist [front woman] went on at this time to do her own solo "rock" career in the mainstream - who has a connection to this band? (No, not June Millington... we know where her shift in music went.)

WILDCAT

*Oh, someone to contact you soon regarding your prize!

**P.S. ETA, I don't know what that red symbol is in the topic/post title here, must have bumped something and not here in editing to delete. Disregard please. It looks like a "thumbs down". No, no, no... not at all - from me. K?!
WILDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WILDCAT For This Useful Post: