Old 12-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #204
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Need some advice about my upcoming appt. with a plastic/reconstruction surgeon within the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any advice of do/don'ts during the interview/examination?

As it gets closer, I get more frightened. Have this weird sense that my life depends on the appointment. It's silly, but that's how I'm feeling. I'm all shaky with my BP elevating.

Anyone know this feeling?
First question is to ask them how many top surgeries they have done. Make them separate out double incision versus peri/key hole method.

As them who trained them (hopefully a surgeon who's specialty is trans surgeries).

I am going to assume you are getting double incision.

I would ask them what size areolas they make. Old standard method is the size of an nickel...surgeons would literally draw around a nickel in the surgery. I personally have seen that when areolas are left too large (for my taste), it detracts from the look of the chest. I see "female", no matter what the chest looks like. It seems to me that the less experienced surgeons leave them too large (beyond the "nickel" size). I went to Garramone in Florida who makes them the size of a dime. They also stretch out. Ask to see photos and then tell them what you think of the size.

Ask if they do free revisions. This would mean not paying for the surgeons fee, but still would pay for the other costs of surgery. However, I am thinking you are using Medicare and/or Medicaid, so I don't know how it would fit into this. I paid out of pocket.

I think your emotional response is completely normal. For us with dysphoria, after the idea of having no breasts comes closer, we realize how important a male chest is to us. I hear this from a lot of trans people when they get closer to their surgeries. Often they (and I felt this way), have excessive worries something will go wrong and they won't be able to have the surgery that day.

Keep us updated!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: