Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #2766
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,769 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post
Okay, so here I am at square one yet again.

For those who don't know, four years ago I lost a crap load of weight through strict eating and exercise and have mostly kept it off. It wasn't perfect, I had very limited ranges of motion and choices of activity due to long standing back issues. What I did qualified as chronic cardio but I did get the weight off and really couldn't do much else. (If you can't pick a barbell up off the floor, you're limited to machines, and most of those were off limits too)

I did it outdoors by walking distances in the sand which worked because I lived two blocks from a beach in a great climate. I made friends and it was a way for me to interact with folks while "working out", I had a ton of social support, loved being outside, and it worked.

Fast forward to this last year. I moved cross country, got some medical things done, had several "life events", traveled a lot, and basically fell off the bandwagon. I did get a regular gym membership which lasted about three months on a recumbent bike with crushing boredom and no interaction with all the other folks wired into headphones looking straight ahead at tv's. I get that that model works for a bunch of folks and in no way do I criticize it for those it works for. My membership in that is up in the next month or two, I don't even know when, that's how engaged with it I am.

The good news is that my back problems have been resolved and I have range of motion available for the first time in a dozen years, albet with no strength. I just spent the last month detoxing from the heavy opioids I've been on for the last several years to function at all, and while a miserable experience, it's over. I'm weak as a kitten, have put on some fat this last year, (at least I know how to get rid of it), but mostly I really don't know how to do functional excersize beyond reading books, and I don't have a place that I feel like I can get what I want.

I think I'm going to try something new. I want training, variety, coaching/supervision, and engagement with other people who have similar goals. I think I may sip from the Crossfit koolaid cup, and see what the "cult" is all about. I only have to commit a month at a time if that's what I want, which is good because it's hella expensive, but I know what I'm doing now (nothing) for a smaller monthly fee is expensive in another way.

Comments? Warnings? Experience?

I'm going to go check out several "boxes", gyms, this afternoon to get a hands on feel for what the different locations seem to feel like.

This could be very good or very stupid, if you have an opinion, please share it.

It's not stupid at all, but I would strongly caution you to build up your strength before doing Crossfit. It's crazy mad for even very fit people. While I'm sure they could adapt some of the movements, I would approach it with caution.

Pull up some Crossfit routines online and do as much as you can at home. If you do that for a few workouts and feel confident and strong enough to move to a box and don't mind someone hollering at you, then do so. I would never hold anyone back from bettering themselves, but I would offer that bit of caution given what you've said about your strength level at this time.

I tend to be a balls to wall kind of girl and sometimes (read: almost always) do too much too soon and it can be counterproductive because I have to wait to heal my torn and stretched muscles and tendons and can create a sense of defeat before I've really begun. Obviously, you and I are different but that's my experience and what I have to say about that.

My .02.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: