CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykbutch View Post
Thanks for the info about the sidestand interlock, I might end up going that route if I continue to have problems. Right now the bike is feigning health-starts up fine, runs, hasn't shut off when I pulled the throttle in a long time. It's dragging when its up to speed though/doesn't feel as powerful as when I first got the carbs all rebuilt three months ago. And it back fires when I'm sitting at stop lights and adds one loud bang when I turn it off. I'm running gas cleaner through it hoping it helps.

Yeah I don't even know what a motor terminal is lol. I think what I need to do is sit there and watch youtube videos and see if I can start fixing it myself. The most I've ever done is take the carb out of my rebel and put it back in after someone else cleaned it. They probably had to calibrate it too, not something I know how to do either at the moment. Would be fun to learn all that stuff though
I hope the gas cleaner works. It's hard to tell without seeing and hearing it, but it sounds like your bike has more than one problem. Suddenly and intermittently cutting out is most likely to be a electrical problem. Losing power and backfiring is most certainly a carbeuration issue.

When gas isn't fully burned in the top end, the remaining fumes detonate elsewhere. That backfire you're hearing is unburned gas exploding in your exhaust system. That's never good. It could be that one cylinder isn't firing, a clogged air filter, or a stuck needle in your carburetor. (Or is this bike fuel injected?)

To check if all cylinders are firing, start the bike up when the engine is cold. Feel the header pipes just after you start the bike, before everything gets too hot to touch. You can even put a dot of spit on each one. If one pipe gets hot and the other one doesn't, then you know that you're not firing on all cylinders.

Good luck!