Thread: Herbalism
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #26
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge-Smile View Post
Hi Medusa,
If you are having trouble sleeping, be sure you aren't mineral deficient. That makes a huge difference, believe it or not. Valerian root is okay in my experience, but it didn't really make any appreciable difference in my insomnia.

By the way, it can be addictive. Please take care with the amount you use as well as how often.

A few years ago, I was lucky to have a kinesiologist work on me. He really honed right in on my problem areas just like a laser beam. I found his subsequent nutritional recommendations as well as his suggested vitamin and mineral regimen to be superlative.

Of course, like anything, you need to really look into the background of your practitioners as well as their experience level. YMMV, but if you have someone reputable in your area, it is a great thing to do for yourself.

Great thread!
I am not sure where you got your information on Valerian Root being addictive, but as a former Health & Beauty Aids buyer for our local health food co-operative, this is news to me.

Valerian root is appropriate for those suffering from mild anxiety and sleeplessness related to menopause/hormonal fluctuations/depression, etc.

That being said, if you are on prescription meds for any of the above, there very well may be contraindicational information that you may want to look in to.

If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, Valerian can impact your liver/kidney function in a negative manner. When I was having daily panic attacks and taking large doses at night to help me sleep, I noticed a yellowing of my iris' which is an indicator that one's liver/kidneys are being compromised.

As with *any* supplement/additive, when taken for long periods of time, when suddenly discontinued, side-effects can be quite noticeable. Titrating is always the best method, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post: