Thread: Herbalism
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #33
Smiling

How Do You Identify?:
with a distinct flair

Thanked 4,382 Times in 1,009 Posts
Smiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST ReputationSmiling Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Novelafemme,

I hope this will help answer your question. Just some basic stuff I quickly dug up, but similar to what I have come across in reading...

Would an addiction event be a very rare occurrence? Yes, of course; but anytime you are introducing a foreign substance into the body; natural or otherwise- especially one that works on chemical responses in the brain in a similar fashion as many pharmaceutical drugs - I think it is a good idea to just at least be aware of all the potential problems it may create.

Mentioning that Valerian can be (not "is;" small, but important distinction) addictive was just meant as a heads up and not to alarm anyone.

See below:

Scientists aren't sure how valerian works, but they believe it increases the amount of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA helps regulate nerve cells and has a calming effect on anxiety. Drugs such as alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) also work by increasing the amount of GABA in the brain. Researchers think valerian may have a similar, but weaker effect.
Source: Valerian | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...#ixzz2r8jPkk19
University of Maryland Medical Center
Follow us: @UMMC on Twitter | MedCenter on Facebook

Source: http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Ar...ian%20Root.pdf

Valerian has an affinity for GABA receptors, likely due to the relatively high GABA content in valerian itself. The amount of GABA present in valerian extract is sufficient to induce release of GABA in synaptosomes and may also inhibit GABA reuptake.

Valerian is used for insomnia and other disorders. Other believed mechanisms of action in valerian include inhibition of the catabolism of GABA by valerenolic acid and acetylvalerenolic acid and affinity for the 5-HTA receptor by another constituent of valerian, called hydroxy pinoresinol.

Valerian side effects may include addiction similar to that which occurs with drugs, reports Medline Plus. Valerian withdrawal has been noted in chronic users: confusion, delirium and rapid heartbeat. Another side effect of valerian use is a drug "hangover," reports Medline Plus.

Valerian has the potential for negative side effects on the heart and liver, according to Aetna Intelihealth. Liver toxicity has occurred with the use of herbal preparations that contain valerian, reports Medline Plus. Also, valerian may interact with anti-seizure medications.
Source: http://survivingantidepressants.org/...valerian-root/

[I could not locate the original Medline article containing these quotes, so I used excerpts from a discussion board; not the best source, but I'm not writing a paper, so bear with me]

Hitting submit before I lose this post again. My iPad keeps crashing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
I am not sure where you got your information on Valerian Root being addictive, but as a former Health & Beauty Aids buyer for our local health food co-operative, this is news to me.

Valerian root is appropriate for those suffering from mild anxiety and sleeplessness related to menopause/hormonal fluctuations/depression, etc.

That being said, if you are on prescription meds for any of the above, there very well may be contraindicational information that you may want to look in to.

If you drink alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, Valerian can impact your liver/kidney function in a negative manner. When I was having daily panic attacks and taking large doses at night to help me sleep, I noticed a yellowing of my iris' which is an indicator that one's liver/kidneys are being compromised.

As with *any* supplement/additive, when taken for long periods of time, when suddenly discontinued, side-effects can be quite noticeable. Titrating is always the best method, unless otherwise directed by a doctor.

Last edited by Smiling; 01-22-2014 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Screen cap was incorrectly sourced. I corrected it.
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smiling For This Useful Post: