View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #13
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Tia View Post
I figured out a long while ago that whatever I did in life for a career had to have meaning, to make a difference. I went into mental health and social services. I ran domestic violence shelters,rape crisis units, drug rehabs, etc. I burnt out on them after a couple decades. I moved into becoming a child and family therapist. Loved it. Found my calling. Then had my accident which ended that professional road.

I tried to work, but couldnt keep up. The strain was too hard on my unhealed back. Other issues crept up and made me more frail. I relapsed from my own long term alcohol recovery, and a relationship ended in a bad way.

For a few years I had to lay on my couch to take the slow turtle crawl of true healing. That and several surgeries, therapy, AA, and a departure from romance, allowed me to resurface whole. I am not fixed. I am disabled. But I am functional. And needed a new purpose. I chose not to go back into mental health and social service. I knew I was always going to need to keep that part of my skill level for myself. While healed, I was always going to need help, so I was going to be my own client, forever. I basically hired myself as my own case manager. Ha!

So I turned to something I love..being a femme. And a plus sized femme at that. I am starting a store, a consignment store, for plus size clothing. And I call it Pretty & Plus. Its SO much more than a clothing store. Its a social network, an event, a support base, a kinship, a sacred space, for all us plus size Positive Gals. (the plus sign in math means positive, doesnt it?)

But I also do alot of work with animals too. I am helping animal rescue non profits raise monies to care for the needy animals in their care. From dogs to cats to horses. I can not handle the physical care of these animals so I support those who can.
I love how you recognized that sometimes in life we must be flexible to where life might take us...and that the plan we start with, may not be the plan that we end with. This (I feel) is one of the important keys to life..having that flexibility, and not allowing change to stop you.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post: