Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #15
StoneFinn

How Do You Identify?:
Transgressive Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
masculine
Relationship Status:
hog-tied with love

StoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST ReputationStoneFinn Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
Also, I have struggled when dating people with male pronouns - struggled with how to refer to them when speaking to others. Struggled with whether to respect the pronoun - effectively closeting myself - or to respect my own identity as an out lesbian by altering that pronoun when referring to my mate - or to give the quick run-down of the gender of the person I'm dating so as to try to respect both (and that ends up feeling the opposite of respectful). Or, I go back to the pronoun game - that closet game where you avoid all pronouns completely. I find it exhausting. I'd manage it if my gf decided she'd rather be my bf, but in the meantime, I am somewhat relieved to have some time and space where I don't feel stuck between the disrespecting-my-partner's-id rock and the disrespecting-my-own-id hard place.
Nat-- I snipped down your wonderful post because I want to address directly the above point you made. Thank you for the overall post-- but for now, my thoughts on this part...

I prefer male pronouns-- as I ID trans-male. My partner, when she refers to me in the "introductory phases" of situations such as a new role (work), or similar situations, will use "she". This does NOT bother me.

Why should it? She is my partner, and for her, referring to me as "she" in the beginning is a good way for her to not be closeted. There will be people who become either a close acquaintance or a friend, and they start to know me as "he". To me, I am not hung up about it.

In these situations-- I do not ever meet the majority of these people, but my partner works with them on a daily basis. For me, what is important is her comfort, and her freedom to be herself, which includes not being closeted- intentionally or incidentally, and that will win out over a pronoun.

For me, I don't see this as being "disrespectful" of me, my identity, or anything else along those lines. We are partners-- it is a give and take, and we support each other. She supports me in so many subtle ways, and so many not so subtle ways and I do my very best to show her the same support and respect in turn.

Otherwise-- I am older now than I was before... things that seemed oh so very important and oh so very needed of me to huff and puff about... now... now they just don't seem so important. I have mellowed. If someone calls me "Ma'am" I am not going to flip. It rarely happens.

The nice woman down at the Vinnies store calls my partner and I "ladies". I am not going to get upset-- she is a very Christian woman, who happens to adore my partner and I and has no issue with us as a queer couple what-so-ever... nor me in how I physically present, and we consider a friend and part of our extended family.

I don't think she would really be able to call me anything different, but I know she would try, and it would bring a stress of struggling to not mess up on her part into the dynamics of our friendship... that to me just isn't worth it.

The couple down at the Garden Center.. who we also consider friends and call Mr and Mrs Pants... have always referred to me in male terms-- and I never had to address this with them...

To me-- these are just part of the balances of life, and every single one of them makes me smile.

"If I were to think of and dwell on disastrous possibilities, I could do nothing. I throw myself headlong into my work, and come up again with my studies; if the storm within gets too loud, I take a glass too much to stun myself." ~~ Van Gogh
StoneFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StoneFinn For This Useful Post: