Old 04-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #51
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post

Oh Koop......yes.

That and ----->>

I'm not trying to scare you here, but this is, and should be, a real concern for you. You need to have a system of support/help lined up before you do this thing. At least for the first couple of days following surgery.

Do you have someone to help you with this "stuff"??

You can always call me to talk, if you like. I think you still have my number, but if you don't, just PM me. You always have a shoulder here.

~Theo~

I don't think I have your number so it would be great if you'd pm it to me, I really appreciate it.

Actually I was talking to a friend who had his done a year ago with Alter and if I need help with he has offered to help.

One of the reasons I wanted to stay close is I do have a huge support system... and I am getting things in place. I know a couple of nurses/ex nurses and i'm hopin to talk to them in the next few days to see if they can help if needed.

My room mate can help with some stuff but umm not the shower stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
Heh... Well, I don't recall having that trouble; but it's probably a good idea to get some wet wipes to have on hand. Those will certainly help with the cleaning process without having to work *quite* as hard.

I also wore big fleece sweatpants that pulled right up and right down. Easy stuff like that.
Thanks just bought a couple more knit pants. Plan to make sure any ironing is done and will put the clothes i want to use in easy accessible places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
Heh.....same here.......I had lightweight knit loungepants and my infamous risque boxer shorts collection.

It's the "reaching" part that will be troublesome at first. Like reaching for your drawers and stuff.

I had a lot of experience "making things work" when I had my knee surgeries. In my physical therapy classes following my knee replacements, I was showing the therapists (and other patients) how I got around and did things for and by myself. When you have to do that sort of stuff, you get a "system" that you work with to be able to take care of yourself.

Ever see one of those "reachers" that some older folks use to reach things?? They look like this:

I have 2 of these. It helped me a GRUNCH!!! (It also doubles for both a "pincher" and ass-grabber)

Holy shit that's a huge ol' picture, isn't it??

~Theo~
Fortunately or unfortunately I"ve had 5 spine surgeries so I actually do know how to figure things out. I could put my slippers on just a few days after my first lower lumbar fusion. Fortunately i'm flexible and could sit and lift my leg up to my hand.

I have two of those grabbers also but thanks for mentioning them so I can make sure they are accessible.

When placing stuff out in preparation ... i put my arms against the sides of my ribs and just bend from the elbows. If I can't reach it then I don't place it there.

I assume i'll be able to bend down though and get stuff ... just lower my self to that level?
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote