Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #60
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post

Walking helps to prevent blood clots, lung problems (pneumonia, particularly after general anesthesia) and constipation from narcotic painkillers, and ya, that's why they get you up and moving so quickly after surgery.

After my first knee surgery, I developed an anxiety disorder. I can't figure out where that came from because I've never had a nervous bone in my entire body, but I got one. Probably because that kind of surgery was so traumatic, debillitating and painful and all of the drugs (a lot of Percocet, mainly) I was on made it even worse. Percocet doesn't agree with me.

For some reason, when that panicky feeling starts, walking helps me. I was afraid of having problems with this anxiety attack business when I had my chest done. Just the surgery thing and all happening again, you know. Well, I did have it for one night following surgery. I got up in the middle of the night and walked around the hotel lobby, which was absolutely beautiful. They had all of these tall ship models in glass cases and you know how I adore tall ships!! It calmed me down right away. I did a lot of walking, though, and on one of the days post op, that Tabs and I were there, we drove down to the beach at Camp Pendleton and walked around there.

I was able to get around really well after the second day post op. As far as the drains go, I only had mine for 2 days post op. I really think that whether you have them or not depends on how much tissue you have removed and how much you bleed. After the second day post op, I wasn't draining much at all, so he pulled them both. What a relief that was, emotionally and pain-wise!!

Have you scheduled your surgery date yet??

~Theo~
Surgery is a week from today, April 29th.

It would have been nice to stay at the ayers but i'm staying at the embassy suites instead. I wanted a bedroom with 2 beds plus a living area with a sofa sleeper. That way if the person going with me needs a bed there is one there for him. Also the seperate living room will allow him to not have to sit in silence if i'm resting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Koop,
I know early on there were questions and answers in the thread, and wanted to pop in here to add a comment.

Being in recovery I had to clarify with my Doc's before I had a total radical hysterctomy for endometrial cancer that I may have a problem with certain meds. pre and post op.

My Doc and the anesthesiologist were aware I was in recovery and provided meds that left me safe and sane. Propofol is the recomended anesthesia, and no lidocaine in the drips, no benzodiazapines, no verced, etc. Just sayin' it can be a slippery slope.

Best wishes to you, and I'm south of you in OC and if I can do anything holler.

Tommi
This my fourth surgery in recovery, damn! So I get what you are saying. In the past with my neck surgeries i've basically gone right to over the counter extra strength tylenol. I get sick from IV pain meds and that causes much more pain then relief. I don't like how the others stopped up the piping. I'lll make sure they know and talk it over with the people close to me first.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote